This blog...

...was initially for pieces done on a computer, but has since become a free-for-all. Here you'll find process work (digital and otherwise), sketch pages and studies, sometimes with commentary.

You can see the rest of my work here.

Remember kids : if you can't make pretty designs, at least make pretty lines!

-Paul

Sunday, March 21, 2010

I loves me some Gil Elvgren.

To prove I'm not always a hater, here's a knob-slobbing writeup on the piece below. 'Drew some breakdowns for extra-extra credit!



Also, this.

I did some quickie Elvgren studies a while back, but I can already see the benefit of delving deeper. The man was/is a goldmine!

4 comments:

Oscar Baechler said...

I agree 100%. A true genius.

There's a photo in some book that I love, because it's got Andrew Loomis, Norman Rockwell and Gil Elvgren, and a bunch of other guys standing together. Man, to be in that room...

Paul Richards said...

Yeah, I guess Rockwell and Elvgren were tight -- exchanged trade secrets and such.

tiffannysketchbook said...

awesome, detailed analysis on babe lab. I really, really appreciate the work you are putting into this for our education. This is just as good as going back to school.

Paul Reinwand said...

Just hung up some of his pieces in my kitchen... though they're old prints I found at a vintage store they're friggin' awesome. I recall yelling, "SCORE," really loud...

"Let's Eat Out" is my favorite of the bunch.